Saturday, March 10, 2007

Proof that I am Not Unique

http://learn-to-knit.com/left.htm

This is exactly how I knit. It’s been pretty obvious (to me) that I mirror-knit, given that when I read patterns my left gloves turn out as right gloves, but finding no literature on it (and having been told by a few knitting tutorials to get over myself) I’d chalked it down to being a self-taught lefty who got hand cramps whenever I tried out regular Continental or English. But! Unique I am not. Enough lefties exist out there to compile tutorials on it. The internets have come a full circle.

I ought to print this link onto cardstock to hand to people who stare at me on the bus. “Why, yes ma’am, this is an actual technique!” Or, better yet, I’ll use it as a come-on: “Hey, cute boy, I bet you didn’t know that I knit lefty. Wanna come purl some stitches with me?”

Right. That would be why I’m dateless.

3 comments:

Garpu said...

huh, cool. I should show that to the Frood's mom, who has trouble knitting the right-handed way. (She's left handed and has Parkinson's.)

Unknown said...

Hi there fellow knitting pather...You are not alone in your backwards technique of knitting. I was knitting backwards (so to speak) for about two years before someone caught on to what I was doing and fixed it. Turns out though that I was actually twisting all of my stitches, it still turned out ok, just not quite right. As I've told many people, there really is no "wrong" way to knit, it's whatever gives you pleasure and gets it done!

Anonymous said...

I'm left-handed too, but I was taught to knit by an Irish bar manager who already had a bottle of sake in her. Therefore I knit with both hands. Back and forth from one hand to the other. It's remarkably easy on simple patterns because you're always knitting one side and don't have to worry about right side and wrong side rows, however with more complicated patterns the translating becomes dizzying.