Sunday, February 25, 2007

Unphotogenic Knitbits

This morning, at a bright and cheery (no, this is Seattle: grey and damp) 11:30AM, my preambulation to a cafe to meet with a few friends took a desperate turn as I passed within two blocks of something, something, somewhere, being deep-fried. It could have been anything: french fries, onion rings, candy bars (improbable in Seattle, for which, frankly, I'm sort of grateful), tempura... and yet my mind immediately went: veggie pakora!

I have a bad affair with Indian food. When I'm sick, depressed, angry, annoyed, happy, busy, traveling, slightly peckish... I get myself the spiciest possible chicken dish I can. This would be irrelevent, except that after I left the cafe, I went to the grocery store, which is kitty-corner to a wonderful Indian food place. And, since I'm broke, I have to avoid that at all costs. So I ran and hid in the knitting shop a block south of that.

Right. Yeah. Like that saves money.

Actually, it did, but only because I couldn't rationalize paying for tofu sock yarn when I'm still working through Pomatomus on some crazy varigated yarn, and because they didn't have knitting pins. This disappointed me tremendously: the Weaving Works has silk cocoons, but no knitting pins? Since wee knits made a bit of an internet splash awhile ago, I've had a dire urge to collaborate with my sister (who does tiny cutesy-macabre sculpture) by doing some tiny cutesy-macabre knits to wrap around her sculptures. I could have justified the purchase if it was something I "accidentally" stumbled upon and couldn't pass up; but alas, it seems I may have to get my pins online, which means my plans will be put on hold indefinitely since internet purchases involve premeditation and deliberate searching for goods.

But more about knitting! I did an impromptu photo shoot using a friend's camera and a couple friends, as well as a doorway, and it led to an equally impromptu commission! My cowl/hat design has been vindicated, and I'm thrilled-- I love it when people are knitting-time-and-effort conscious enough to ask not only "Will you knit me...?" but "If I get you the yarn, how much else would you want for the time it takes to...?" It's a small project, so I'm overjoyed to do it.

Last week, I bought a knit blouse at Urban Outfitters.* It has a unique construction, and I've wasted tons of scratch paper coming up with a zillion difference twists on it. And now I'm googling yarn. So much for knitting from my stash.

*I've heard before that UO is a Republican donor, but I've shied away from researching this myself because I really, truly, deeply enjoy their sales racks. I should really look this up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are knitting pins? Out of non-knitter's curiosity, I tried to look them up, but I'm getting either pins (like what one uses to fasten a pattern to fabric in sewing) or needles (like knitting needles, the long, pokey things).

The Bloggist said...

Knitting pins are essentially knitting needles... just very thin, bendy steel needles. They need to be bendy, apparently, because you're working with something about as thick as embroidery floss when you do miniature knitting. If you've ever seen those very small double-pointed needles people use for socks, it's in that vein. But not quite.