Monday, May 28, 2007

Pelecypoda fingerless gloves 2


Pelecypoda fingerless gloves

Ingredients:
<1 skein Elann.com Sonata color 2608 (or 100% mercerized cotton of your choice)
5 #5 dpns

CO 60 stitches and arrange evenly over 3 needles.
Working in the round, *k7, sl1, k2tog, psso; rep to until end of round.
Next round: *k6, k2tog; rep to end of round.
Knit two rounds. You have 42 stitches total; make certain they are arranged on the needles in multiples of seven.

Proceed with shell pattern:

Shell stitch variation
Round 1: *k1, yo, p1, p3tog, p1, yo, k1; repeat
Rounds 2&3: knit

Work these three reps 7 times.

Thumb

Continue working the shell variation stitch another five times, EXCEPT work last 7 stitches (one repeat of shell) on the third needle in stockinette. Due to the nature of the shell stitch pattern, you will be working a total of nine consecutive knit stitches-- eight on the third needle, one on the first. After working the last set, slip 3 stitches from the third needle onto the first. Now, on your fifth needle and using the lead yarn, m5 stitches in the manner of your choosing. This needle will temporarily dangle between the third and the first needle. Join it between the shell-stitch pattern and the strip of stockinette stitches (both on the third needle) so you will be working in the round. Work five rows. Bind off thumb.

Finishing
With third needle, pick up 6 stitches from inner side of thumb (what used to be the m5 stitches). Continue working body of glove as usual, in shell stitch pattern except for the 6 stitches above the thumb, until the glove reaches a desirable length ending with a knit row. Bind off all stitches and weave in ends. Block lightly if desired; I didn't. The yarn I used is just about endlessly stretchy; one with less give may require more repetitions of the shell stitch, at which point remember to cast on additional multiples of (7+3[the decrease]). Work the second glove the same way. Due to the lazy way I did the thumb gusset, the gloves are completely reversible.

Enjoy.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. Lovely pattern. However I knitted up to the point of the thumb part (as of the slip 3 stitches back onto the first needle part), and couldn't figure the thumb out for the life of me. I brought it to a stitch doctor in my LYS and she couldn't figure it out either and suggested something is not right in the pattern. Any further clarifications there?

The Bloggist said...

Hi, anonymous. Thanks for the compliment! I wish you'd left an e-mail so I could make sure this gets to you, but I'm going to hope you'll check back on this post. There's no errors in the pattern, but I can see how it can be confusing-- it's not something I've seen commonly done on gussets, and I could have written it plainer (I guess I'll have to go back and do that). I'm going to try to clarify here, and if that doesn't work, let me know and I'll get together the resources (ie, a person to hold the camera) to do a tutorial.

So, once you've slipped the 3 stitches, you're going to be working with 4 sts on the 3rd needle and 4 on the first. For simplicity's sake, slip the other stitches on the 3rd needle onto a stitch holder. Then, after you've knit the 4 sts on the first needle, CO 5 stitches onto another dpn. DON'T cut the yarn first or anything; what you're doing is going to make a thumb-sized tube. Now, join this to the beginning of the 5 sts on needle 3, to knit in the round. Work these 13 sts in plain stockinette for 5 rows, then BO all these stitches, and continue the pattern as written (picking up the stitches you put on a holder, of course).

Let me know whether or not that makes more sense to you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I did find your reply! That all made sense except for the fact that it started with slip 3 back to the 1st kneedle. That puts the lead yarn not at the end of the kneedle. In any case, I fudged around more or less with what you commented and made it work!

On Ravelry (where I found your pattern) I'm melcef.

The Bloggist said...

Thanks for letting me know! I'm glad it worked out.

Anonymous said...

Found these when I was browsing mitts on ravelry. They are lovely, and I like that you used Sonata. I've used it before and it has wonderful stretch for a cotton.

The Bloggist said...

essiewb, thank you for the compliments!