Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Origin of Suffering: material goods

I did a noble thing this week-- I stared long and hard at my stash, and then I picked up a large bag and started piling in skeins. All said, about a third of my museum.

Cheating, slightly: about half the bag was taken up by the mondo-skeins of Jo-Ann Sensations. I tell you, that yarn is immense like it has something to prove. There were about a dozen other skeins of various providences, re-purposed or unused or little bits of both.

So, I did a good thing; I gave to a friend and made it possible to walk to my closet.

But it had a downside: This has made it very hard to justify not buying new yarn.
Behold my latest purchase; two skeins Malabrigo lace weight, color "pearl." I've never encountered lace-weight malabrigo before, and I must say that this is very fine stuff. Soft and smooth and with lovely hints at darkness despite being such a pale colorway. I have utterly no idea what I'm doing with it yet; but more to the point, I don't care. Its loveliness defies purpose. It's like... well... a clock that's all jammed up but someone took off the cover and hung it up on the wall just to see the gears. Arrested in a stage of splendid uselessness that may some day obtain purpose.

To think that this malabrigo came about because I wanted to pick up some Noro, either for Klaralund (if I could find the pattern book as well), or for an adaptation of the obi from the Norah Gaughan collection. I went to the Weaving Works, and had the best experience there that I've had since... well... a few years, at least. They've hired a young woman about my age, and we chatted shop and our love of the above-mentioned collection. It was entirely pleasant.

In more utilitarian dimensions, I also have enough Cascade Fixation to make a nice stretchy shell/tank. I need to get to sketching that out.

3 comments:

Garpu said...

lace weight is kinda weird. I'm making the knitty muir when I get bored with my doctor who scarf. it's getting easier to work with once there's some fabric on the needles, so as to weigh it down a bit. Those first few rows were hell, though. Was like knitting with nothing.

The Bloggist said...

I adore lace weight for exactly that reason, actually :) It's like working with clouds. I wish I were a shawl person, actually, because it would be so decadent.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.