Thursday, December 6, 2007

Limulidae Cowl and Hat-- Available Now!



The winter edition of Knit on the Net went live today. And guess what's on the front page?

My "Limulidae" cowl and hat, as you can see.

The issue has some great patterns. I can't encourage you enough to look through it!

Also, I'd like to point out the advertisement card that Brenna kindly made for me. It has gears on it!

Ahem. I'm a little giddy today, but I'm blaming it on lunch (peppermint bark). A word about the name; I didn't choose Limulidae just to make the cowl and hat unpronounceable. That was the side-effect of the stitch pattern I modified. It's horseshoe lace, and when I think horseshoe, my mind turns to horseshoe crabs... from the family Limulidae.

Yes. I knit soft, warm, fuzzy things and name them after crustaceans. It's a little counter-intuitive.

5 comments:

Hils Tranter said...

Really nice pattern - I am into knitting polo necks and similar at the moment. Well done.
The model and styling looks great.
Thanks for sharing your patterns.
All the best,
Trant x

Paula460 said...

I did fall in love with your pattern!
I'm wating for fall (next march...in the south hemisphere) to knit those for me!
thanks for sharing your talent!

The Bloggist said...

Paula-- thanks so much! I'd love to see pictures once you've knit it, link me to them if you feel like it.

Rachel said...

Hello Neal - I found your Limulidae hat and cowl on Knit On the Net and I want to knit it for my daughter. The trouble is I can't find Sensations Angel Hair here in Canada and I am told it is important to get the stocking stitch tension in order to replace it with another yarn. Please can you help with this.
Rachel

The Bloggist said...

Rachel,

Glad to help-- You'll want to substitute a super bulky weight yarn, something that gets about 12 sts to 10cm/4", or a single-ply bulky weight combined with a fingering weight mohair strand. Other knitters have used yarns like Classic Elite Bravo, Paton's Shetland Chunky and Malabrigo Chunky. All of these, I think, are easily available in Canada.

If you're on Ravelry, there's several ravelers who have Jo-Ann Sensations Angel Hair in their stash marked as available for trading or selling.

Hope that helps!