Thursday, May 29, 2008

March (May) of the socks

My plans to switch from machine-knit to mismatched handmade socks is in high gear. I now have four pairs.

They machine wash well so far, and I'm wearing them two days a week. Upsides: they wear well. Downsides: I suspect they will be too hot in summer, and unfortunately my danskos, the best for showing them off, are also prone to snagging fabric on their buckles. This bothered me less when it happened to machine-knit socks.

madweave_2

Pattern: Mad Color Weave
Designer: Tina Lorin
Source: Sock Madness
Yarn: Trekking XXL
Needles: US1s, double-points

I tried out a new toe, with fewer decreases-- it's comfortable, but very boxy. Otherwise I followed the pattern more or less exactly. Here's a better shot of the texture: madweave1

In additional knitterly news, I've finished my first sock from Cat Bordhi's "New Pathways to Sock Knitting." It's a Cables & Corrugations toe-up sock knit in Maizy. I'm also working on a Fruit Loop, from the most recent knitty.

I was meaning to ramble at length about my notions-related purchase at the Ave Fair in Seattle, but I'm feeling a tad laconic, so I think I will save that for another day.

5 comments:

B. Zedan said...

That is crazy yarn. I kind of love it. I am also finding that everyone I know wears Danskos.

The Bloggist said...

Well, really... what else is there in life to wear?

Garpu said...

Nice! How do your handmade socks wear? I'm afraid to wear mine, since I do a lot of walking.

The Bloggist said...

Maizy is a little pilly. My GGH Marathon socks are wearing like iron, though, and I'm expecting the same from the Trekking.

Garpu said...

Cool! I like the Trekking sock yarns way more than I should, considering my budget. (Although you get a lot for the price.)