Sunday, January 21, 2007

Wherein I have problems with a basic scarf

I’m sure I’ve mentioned before that I’m sick of garter, but my mother commissioned me to work up a scarf for her, “just like that one you made when you were first learning to knit!”

So I did that. It took a fair amount of my diminishing supply of port and five episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist, watched off my friend’s external hard drive off one of his laptops using the viper orgy of miscellaneous cords he left in my apartment (there is a one-way technology exchange here, not that I’m not grateful or anything), but I got it done.

Then I looked at it.

At almost precisely the halfway point, that very charcoal-streaked-with-pearl grey skein of lionbrand homespun gave up the ghost and went heather grey. Heather grey! Forget dyelot-- that’s an entirely different @#$%& color.

I’m not doing it over. But I am fuming to myself as I knot the last fluffy bit of fringe.

3 comments:

Garpu said...

The sari silk scarf/stole I'm doing so far each skein is different. I should've alternated blocks (it's entrelac), but eh. I kind of like it now.

The Bloggist said...

Yeah, but that's sari silk-- pretty much comes with the package. Lionbrand, on the other hand, is not meant to be filled with unexpected surprises.

Garpu said...

Ah, no. Generally not. :) I wish I'd have been able to afford to buy all that I needed at once, but I guess I'll just have to be surprised with the next 6 skeins...