Monday, January 1, 2007

Works in Progress

Currently on the needles, I’m working up a prototype for another pair of fingerless gloves (sort of hobo garden chic); a monotony-inducing garter stitch lionbrand scarf (there’s a story behind this); the very clone of the scarf I made my father (for me), only done in remainder wool-ease worsted and Sirdar “Country Style,” and the left front of Jodi Green’s “Mariah” from knitty.

The scarf . . . I’m not a fan of garter stitch. It has its place in the knitting world, to be sure, but I find it mind-numbing. But the day before I left for home, my mother pressed a skein into my hands and asked me to knit a scarf “just like” the one I’d done for my sister three years ago. Apparently, I’m a sucker for sentimental reasoning.

The Mariah sweater is a tardy gift for a friend. It makes me nervous, working on it, even though I’ve justified the effort due to the extra time on my hands, the fact that my friend specified the pattern, and the cheapness of the yarn (as much as I’d spend on a smaller knit project, if not less); my knitting for friends was initially greeted with varying degrees of un-appreciation, so I’m afraid I won’t be satisfied with the “wear” given it by the recipient. The only person who fulfils my wear requirements is a guy who mocks me whenever he spots me with sticks in hand . . . go figure. Well, we’ll see.

No comments: