Friday, July 13, 2007

Yarn Dye-ing Effort, the First


It's been really hot out-- by the standards of the Pacific NW. Ambulances keep zipping past my house to pick up people who wilted in the heat. There was a heat watch advisory and emergency hydration shelters opened up in some parts of the county. It's probably not helped that we mostly don't believe in air conditioning; something we never miss except for 3-4 days out of the year.

Among all the wilting and the sweating and my fruit juice-yogurt-fruit-blender diet, I decided it would behoove me to stand over a cauldron of water and boil some yarn. At left you may admire my first effort at spinning (it's less homespun and more "thin lengths of roving"); also my first effort at dyeing. I used two packs of black cherry and one of grape, for variety (not quite variegating) which I poured in on top after the black cherry was absorbed.

In retrospect, I would have liked it darker-- should have picked up another package of black cherry.

2 comments:

Garpu said...

Nice! I've been making noises about kool aid dyeing, but I'm thinking about either lace or sock yarn. Fun sock yarns are expensive as hell, so I might as well make my own. Lace because I want to do some lacey thing.

B. Zedan said...

I like the colours you ended up with, but you are mad, to dye things in this heat.