Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Skeins of Doom


A couple years ago, in a fit of poor taste and dubious circumstance I now regret (why did you give me yarn, mom? And why, oh why, did I wheedle you into giving it to me?), I acquired two skeins of Sensations Rainbow Boucle in colors that don't really pair up to my satisfaction.

Two skeins. That's 2x 853 yards (lawks, a whole 1706 yards!) of soft, prissy, gormless yarn that's soft, prissy, and gormless mostly because it doesn't have the constitution to knit up into things I would actually, well, knit. I'm not a big blanket/formless sweater person. I gave it a stab, I did: I produced one entirely forgettable 3-ft squared blanket for the family cats.

Aside from that, these blue and grey watermelons have been taking up stash space for a very long time, annoying me to varying degrees depending on how finicky I'm feeling when I remember I have them (they take up a lot of stash space).

Well, no longer. I was glaring at them in a fit of pique yesterday when I had a revelation: I've never knitted entrelac, and that is One of Those Things I Really Should, At Least Once.

So, an entrelac blanket it is. Let's see how many years it stays half-knitted on my floor. Cast your bets now.

3 comments:

Garpu said...

Entrelac is crazy fun. Once you get your brain around how the blocks go, it's not so bad.

B. Zedan said...

I had to look it up, but once I saw it, I was awed. I think I spotted entrelac socks the other day on some blog I follow, and it's so interesting and weird. Good luck with it. I think it'd melt my poor brain.

The Bloggist said...

Thanks for the encouragement :) I'm not expecting it to be bad (it isn't so far); I'm just astounded i haven't done it.